If you rent or own one of the many downtown Chicago condos, then you know winter can be extremely tough on your social life. However, if it’s simply too cold outside, there’s nothing better than hosting your own fabulous night of winter cocktails, food and fun. Be careful though – these warm recipes and wintery beverages may have you wishing for more cold weather once spring arrives.
A Few Classy Winter Cocktail Party Decorating Tips:
- Embrace the winter colors. Don’t be afraid to use lots of whites and accents of silver and icy blue. Create a beautiful indoor winter that people will love using fabrics like chiffon, gossamer and other sheers.
- Scented candles. Enhance your winter atmosphere with scents like evergreen, hot cocoa, or fresh baked sugar cookies.
- Use what you already own. You can get creative (and cheap!) with your surroundings by reusing some Christmas decorations like ribbons, snowflake ornaments and twinkling lights.
- Party favors. Sometimes little gifts can help your friends forget about the cold weather and add that perfect last touch to your soirée. Give your guests something simple and heart-warming like personalized snowflake magnets.
Warm Winter Cocktail Recipes:
- Adult Hot Chocolate: Who said you can’t mix your past with the present? Make everyone’s favorite childhood cold-weather drink, but spice it up with something like Baileys Irish Cream or Peppermint Schnapps. You can even add a little garnish by hanging a mini candy cane off the side of the mug.
- Hot Apple Pie: This drink is a winter classic. You can experiment with all different types of black and green teas, creating a drink that’s unique to your style and flavor. Combining brandy, whiskey or rum with a little honey and lemon and adding it to your favorite tea allows this beverage to keep your warm and toasty during the long, cold Chicago winter.
- Hot Toddyunique to your style and flavor. Combining brandy, whiskey or rum with a little honey and lemon and adding it to your favorite tea allows this beverage to keep your warm and toasty during the long, cold Chicago winter.
- Black Stripe: You can’t go wrong with this simple winter cocktail. The Black Stripe uses honey or molasses to compliment dark rum. Add a little lemon twist, some hot water and garnish this drink with a cinnamon stick to ease the winter troubles of you and your friends.
Perfect Winter Party Foods:
- Fondue: This warm wintery delight is perfect for any cold-weather gathering. Not only can you add a little international flair to your party, but you can also experiment with a plethora of different sweet and savory recipes. You can even have a fondue potluck, allowing your guests to bring their own interpretation of the dish and making the party a fun, interactive event.
- Chili: There’s nothing chilly about this hearty food. You and your friends can warm your bellies with a variety of meat or vegetarian chili recipes. You can even throw in a delicious homemade cornbread as the perfect partner to this dish.
- Soup: Soups are the perfect winter dish for any occasion, especially a classy cocktail party. Not only can you get creative with the recipes, but you can also serve them up in a variety of stylish dishes with an assortment of delicious, imaginative petits fours salés.