Lakeshore East is one of the greenest communities in Chicago:
Upon completion, Lakeshore East will boast 590,000 s.f. of green and open space in the community.
Lakeshore East’s award winning master plan:
- Maximizes views by calling for over 3000 residences that will face green or open space.
- Connects directly to adjacent parks and open space including Grant Park, Millennium Park, the Chicago River and the Lakefront Park system.
- Features a 6-acre botanical park at the centerpiece of the community bringing 100 species of flora and fauna to the area. Other park features include a children’s playground floor area made out of recycled tires and re-circulating fountains.
- Calls for a total of 15 green roofs upon completion.
- 340 on the Park was dedicated by the city as Chicago’s first residential high rise building with Silver LEED certification.
- Aqua at Lakeshore East, designed by architect Jeanne Gang of Studio/Gang, is currently awaiting LEED certification.
- Village Market and Coast at Lakeshore East are designed to meet Silver LEED and are currently awaiting certification.
Magellan Development’s green initiatives include:
- Magellan promotes car-sharing through I-GO and Zip Car by donating a portion of the parking costs for six car-sharing stations within the Lakeshore East community including hybrid vehicles. Located in The Lancaster, The Tides and Aqua parking garages, each car replaces 17 cars on the road, reducing emissions and congestion.
- Magellan installed the first electric-car charging stations in the Midwest at Aqua at Lakeshore East.
- Magellan encourages support of earth hour within all communities.
- Individual homeowners are offered earth friendly interior choices through our partners that practice sustainability and conservation within their manufacturing processes:
- Recycling programs and green cleaning supplies are utilized at all Magellan-managed properties.
- In the building process, Magellan utilizes low-E Tinted glass which maintains optimal temperature control in each residence.
- Magellan reduces paper use by utilizing electronic communications as much as possible. When paper is necessary, Magellan purchases recycled paper.
- Magellan facilitates clothing and furniture drives for residents encouraging gently used items to be donated and repositioned.
- Magellan Development employees are encouraged to bike or walk to work to cut down on car emissions. Magellan provides bike racks and locker room facilities for employee’s use.
- Magellan properties offer the following eco-friendly interior selections. Specific selections vary by property:
- Bamboo flooring – a durable hardwood that is a rapidly renewable resource.
- Mosaic tiles – made from recycled glass.
- Floor and Wall tiles – that are specially treated to resist mold, mildew, dirt, and grease- thus drastically reducing the frequency of cleaning as well as the use of harsh chemical cleansers that affect indoor air quality.
- Hanstone Quartz countertops – ‘Greenguard’ certified material (low VOC emitting). Hanstone is a non-porous material, inhibiting mold, mildew, and bacterial growth which are harmful to indoor air quality.
- Plumbing fixtures – Faucets, shower heads, and toilets focusing on water conservation (from HansGrohe, Grohe, Moen, Delta, & Toto). These fixtures reduce gpm (gallons per minute) while using technology in such a way that doesn’t hinder the comfort or convenience of the user, but maintains responsible conservation.
- Appliances: ‘Energy Star’ rated (Kitchen Aid and Sub Zero and Wolf refrigeration and dishwashers) and other energy efficient appliances. For example, a Sub Zero refrigerator has dual refrigeration – controlled by two compressors so that each operates with minimal energy consumption. Microprocessor controls ensure constant and accurate temperatures and further energy efficiency.
- Food disposals are standard in each condominium which is an environmentally responsible alternative to transporting food waste to landfills. They also help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. And, food waste can be recycled to produce renewable energy and fertilizer.